IF we talk about “Indian Snacks” then probably we cant ignore mentioning “Samosa“.
Samosas are a popular appetizer, or snack in the local cuisines of the Indian subcontinent and now a days its popular worldwide too. Basically samosa is a fried or baked dish with a savoury filling, like spiced potatoes, onions, peas, or lentils. The stuffing is totally depends on someone’s choice of ingredients. Also It may take different forms, including triangular, cone, or half-moon shapes, depending on the region. Traditionally in India we serve it with spicy “Coriander-mint chutney” and sweet-tangy “Tamarind chutney”. Also it can be enjoyed with spicy “Aalo sbji”(Spicy Potato curry) and “Kadhi” (Tangy gram flour curd based curry).
You can deep fry and bake samosa too. To make these more crispy fry on low heat or double fry.
How to make crispy Samosa?
- Add right proportion of oil/moyan in samosa dough. Example:- If 500 gram flour then 80-100 gram oil.
- Samosa dough must be tight and firm. It must not be soft so, add water only as per need.
- Roll the samosa crust evenly. So, the outer can cook evenly from all sides.
- You can use wholewheat flour for dough too. Just make sure you add right amount of water at the time of kneading. Because whole wheat flour absorbs more water than refined flour.
- Stuffing you can make according to your preference. Like you can add paneer, peas, sweet potato and onion.
- Make sure you knead dough firm and tight. Also oil should be enough hot at the time of frying.
This traditional snack recipe needs no introduction and tastes best when served with mint chutney and red chutney. In my recipe I'm giving it a twist just to enhance the flavours and to add some healthy ingrediants.
- 2 Cups Refined Flour (Maida)
- 2 Tsp Semolina (Suji)
- 4 Tbsp Oil
- 5 Tbsp Water (For kneading as per requirement)
- 1 Tsp Carom Seeds (Ajwain)
- 1/2 Tsp Rock Salt (As per taste)
- 1 Tsp Matcha Green Powder
- 1 Tsp Dill leaves (Dry or fresh)
- 1/2 Cup Kidney beans (Soaked and boiled)
- 2 Potato (Medium size, boiled)
- 1/4 Cup French beans
- 1 Tsp Ginger (Grated)
- 1 Green chilli (Finely chopped)
- 1 Tsp Rock Salt (As per taste)
- 1/2 Tsp Red chilli powder
- 1/2 Tsp Garam masala
- Pinch of Asafoetida
- 1/2` Tsp Whole coriander seeds (Optional)
- 1 Tsp Cumin seeds
- 1 Tsp Dry Mango powder
- 1/4 Cup Coriander leaves (Finely chopped)
- Oil (For frying Stuffing)
Kneed the dough using all Samosa ingredientes. Let it rest for 20 minutes. (Plain & Matcha dough)
Heat oil in a pan. Add Asafoetida and cumin seeds and crackle them.
Add Ginger-chilli paste. Saute raw aroma goes away.
Add Beans and spices. Stir and saute on low flame for 1-2 minutes.
Add potato cubes and boiled kidney beans. Mix everything well so, all spices can distribute evenly in stuffing.
Make balls from the dough, roll out and after cutting in square shape, again cut in 2 pieces, place on each other in cross position. Fill stuffing in center part.
Fold 2 sides on one other and rest 2 sides fold by giving matt look (by cutting in strips).
Fry in oil till golden brown and crispy. Enjoy hot with chutney, kadhi or Aloo Sbji (Spicy Potato curry)