These dumplings are so delightful, one of my favourite homemade dessert. Basically it’s a Romanian traditional dessert, which can be made with stone fruits, apricot or any other fruit too.
Plum is one great fruit which has tremendous health benefits plus it’s so versatile to use in food.
In Romania they are called as “Gomboti”, In Hungary, these plum dumplings are called szilvas gomboc. These can be make using with peach, apricot, strawberry or any kinds of fruit you wish actually, but of course the calling would be different, as szilva is plum.
The original dumplings needs eggs, but I’ve made them Vegan. They taste amazing and perfect for dessert.
Why plums are good to include in diet??
- Plums are rich in Antioxidants which helps to improve heart health.
- Plums are great source of fiber, nutrients, minerals, vitamins, also helps to lower down the risk of chronic disease like cancer, heart attack, diabetes.
- Improves digestion & immunity power.
- Improves blood circulation, aid in blood clotting. Plums lowers cholesterol levels.
- Good for your skin & bone health. Reduces scars.
- You can use sweet potatoes as well instead of regular one.
- Some people add “Yeast” or “Baking powder” too, But I haven’t added. If you want to add then use 1/2 tsp baking powder at the time of kneading dough. If Yeast then dissolve 1 tsp instant yeast, in lukewarm milk & add sugar. Let it stand for about 10 minutes, or until the yeast bubbles up. Use in dumpling dough.
- You can use breadcrumbs for coating as well.
- You can soak plums in sugar syrup as well. I didn’t because mine were too sweet.
- Any vegetable oil can be used for the dumplings.
- Pour any sweet syrup of your choice at the time of serving.
These Dumplings can be made using any fruit of choice. I am making the vegan version of these. You can use sweet potatoes as well instead of regular one.
- 1/2 Kg Potatoes
- 80 Grams Wheat Refined Flour
- 3 Ripe Golden/Yellow Plums
- 1 Tsp Ground Cinnamon
- 2 Tsp Lemon Juice
- 1/4 Tsp Lemon Zest
- 2 Tbsp Powdered Sugar (For dough and dusting)
- 2 Tsp Sunflower Oil
- Desiccated Coconut
- Pinch of Rock Salt
- 1/2 Tsp Cardamom powder
- Water (To boil the dumplings)
- Almond milk or any one of choice (To knead the dough)
Boil Potatoes, Remove the skin and mash properly. Mix Oil, Cinnamon, cardamom powder, lemon Zest, Sugar powder (you can add brown sugar or melted jaggery too) and salt. Gently fold in the flour, without kneading much the dough. Make small balls.
Please make sure you add less sugar powder because at the end we gonna pour maple/or any syrup so, there must be balance in sweetness.
If you want to add Baking Powder then use 1/2 tsp at the time of kneading dough. If Yeast then dissolve 1 tsp instant yeast, in lukewarm milk add sugar. Let it stand for about 10 minutes, or until the yeast bubbles up. Use in dumpling dough.
Wash the plums, cut them into small wedges and coat them in sugar. (My plums were very sweet so, I haven't coated those in sugar.
Take a ball, flatten it and place a plum piece in the middle. Fold the dough around it and shape it gently into a ball again. Ensure the fruit is completely encased.
Put the dough balls into the steamer over the boiling water or directly boil In water (Add lemon juice in water too) for 25-30 minutes until cooked. If directly boiling in water then please add 1 tsp oil. So, dumplings don't stick together. Please do check frequently when they are on gas.
When they start to float, remove them with a slotted spoon.
Coat into Desiccated Coconut. You can use breadcrumbs as well or any other organic powder for coating.
Pour Maple syrup (If not vegan then honey works too) at the time of serving and dust powdered sugar and cinnamon powder. (It's totally optional)
I have used Lime and saffron syrup. (Will share the recipe soon on blog)
Serve Warm. you can add some cheese as well if you want.